RULES, TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR THE CHALLENGE:
PLEASE READ THESE RULES CAREFULLY PRIOR TO PARTICIPATION OR ENTRY. NO PURCHASE IS NECESSARY TO REGISTER, ENTER, OR WIN. THE CHALLENGE (DEFINED BELOW) IS OPEN ONLY TO INDIVIDUALS AGED 13 OR OLDER AS OF JULY 1, 2019, AND IS NOT OPEN TO RESIDENTS OF CUBA, IRAN, NORTH KOREA, SUDAN, SYRIA, THE CRIMEA REGION, OR ANY OTHER UNITED STATES SANCTIONED COUNTRY. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED OR RESTRICTED BY LAW.
The Grand Challenge on Stories (“The Challenge”), is created and sponsored by Yun Family Foundation (“Sponsor” or “YFF”), 55 E. 3rd Ave, San Mateo, CA 94401. By participating in The Challenge and/or using this website, you agree to the YFF Terms, which are available on this website and hereby incorporated by reference, and that your participation will be governed by, and you shall abide by, all of the following rules (the “Challenge Rules”) outlined herein.
1. Eligibility: The Challenge is open only to individuals who: (a) will be aged 13 or older as of July 1, 2019; (b) have their parents’/legal guardians’ permission to participate in The Challenge if not of legal age; and (c) are NOT residents of Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, Syria, the Crimea Region, or any other United States sanctioned country. Sponsor, in its discretion, may require persons who register in connection with The Challenge (collectively, “Participant” or “Participants”) to provide verification of eligibility. The following individuals are not eligible to enter or win The Challenge: current or former (within the immediately preceding 12 months) employees, officers, directors, and contractors of YFF, and anyone involved in the administration of The Challenge (including judges), and any member of the immediate family (i.e., a child or grandchild) or household of any of the foregoing individuals. The Challenge is administered in the United States and by submitting an Entry to The Challenge you consent to the transfer of your personal information and, in the event of a minor, said minor’s parent or legal guardian consents to the transfer of his/her child’s personal information, if applicable, to the United States, where the laws about data privacy may be different than the laws in your country. The country in which you reside may have different laws that apply to you, and you are solely responsible for complying with all applicable local laws in the jurisdiction in which you are located. Ineligibility: The Challenge is not open to residents of Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, Syria, the Crimea Region, and any other U.S. sanctioned country and is void where prohibited by law. Sponsor reserves the right to verify an individual’s eligibility to participate in The Challenge.
2. Registration Period: The registration period for The Challenge begins at 10:00 a.m. Pacific Standard Time (“PST”) on July 1, 2019 and ends at 11:59 p.m. PST on October 31, 2019. (the “Registration Period“).
3. How to Register: To register, visit www.grandchallengeonstories.org (the “Site“) and during the Registration Period and follow the registration instructions therein.
4. Entry Period: The entry period for the Challenge begins at 10:00 a.m. Pacific Standard Time PST on July 1, 2019 and ends at 11:59 p.m. PST on October 31, 2019 (the “Entry Period“).
5. Teams: Sponsor requires each Participant submit an individual entry. Teams comprised of multiple Participants are not permitted.
6. Multiple Entries: Participants are not permitted to submit more than one entry.
7. How To Enter: To enter, visit the Site during the Entry Period and follow the instructions on entry form, which is available on the Site. All Entries (as defined below) must be in the English language and must be completed and received in their entireties by Sponsor via the Site by no later than 11:59 p.m. PST on October 31, 2019 to be eligible. Proof of submission is not proof of receipt. Sponsor’s computer will be the official clock for The Challenge. Sponsor reserves the right not to acknowledge or return any Entry. Each Entry must include the following (collectively, an “Entry“):
- a. Participant information as may required by Sponsor (no one under 13 years old is permitted to participate in The Challenge) on the Site;
- b. The proposal (as specified in the Site); and
- c. Responses to other questions or information requests in connection with the Site and The Challenge.
Sponsor is not responsible for, and each Participant specifically releases Sponsor and each of its successors and assigns, and each of its trustees, officers, directors, employees, and agents (all of the foregoing, the “Sponsor Parties“), and members of The Challenge coalition from any and all claims or liability relating to, any loss or damage to the Entry. By entering, regardless of country of residence or entry, each Participant represents and warrants that (a) the Participant has the exclusive, unconditional right, and authority to submit the Entry to Sponsor and to grant the rights set forth herein and (b) the Entry complies with these Challenge Rules in full. Entries must not contain any material that Sponsor, in its sole and absolute discretion, deems inappropriate for public viewing and/or determines is contrary to its mission. Sponsor reserves the right in its sole and absolute discretion to disqualify and/or not accept any Entry that Sponsor determines does not or is likely not to comply with these guidelines, to make such changes to any Entry as are necessary to make it compliant, or to require the Participant to do so.
The parent or legal guardian of a Participant under the legal age of majority in his/her jurisdiction of residence: (a) will ensure that Participant will comply with these Rules and (b) warrants that Participant is capable of agreeing (through him/herself or through his/her parent or legal guardian) to these Rules and giving the consent contained herein. The Participant’s parent or legal guardian must agree, and does hereby agree, to indemnify the Sponsor, Sponsor Parties, and members of The Challenge coalition from and against: (a) any claims made by you or your family against the Sponsor, Sponsor Parties, and members of The Challenge coalition in connection with The Challenge and (b) any losses (including any liability) caused by any of your conduct which is inconsistent with these Rules.
8. Entry Guidelines: Each Participant must comply with all of the following content restrictions:
- The Entry must not contain material that violates or infringes another’s rights, including but not limited to privacy, publicity, copyright, trademark, patent, intellectual property-related rights, or property-related rights;
- The Entry must not disparage Sponsor or any other person or party affiliated with the promotion or administration of The Challenge;
- The Entry must not contain footage, images, or artwork not created by the Participant unless he or she has obtained all rights necessary to include such footage, images, or artwork as part of an Entry to the Challenge;
- The Entry must not contain anything that is inappropriate, indecent, obscene, hateful, tortious, defamatory, slanderous or libelous as these terms are generally understood in the Participant’s home country/countries or as determined in Sponsor’s absolute discretion;
- The Entry must not contain material that promotes bigotry, racism, hatred or harm against any group or individual or promotes discrimination based on race, gender, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age as these terms are generally understood in the Participant’s home country/countries or as determined in Sponsor’s absolute discretion;
- The Entry must not contain material that is in violation of or contrary to the laws or regulations in any jurisdiction where the Entry is created; and
- The Entry MUST NOT contain plagiarized material.
9. Selection and Announcement of Winners: The judges designated by YFF (the “Judges”) will select the Winner based answering the following questions and such other criteria as the Judges deem desirable or advisable (the “Criteria“):
- [Criteria TBD]
Sponsor will announce the Winner on or before December 1, 2019.
10. Cash Prizes For the Winner: Based on the reviews described above, YFF will select the Winner.
The Winner will receive a cash prize of US$5,000.
11. All Decisions Final: All decisions of Sponsor and Sponsor Parties are final and binding in all respects and not subject to review or contest in any way.
12. Winner Notification and Verification: Sometime on or around December 1, 2019, Sponsor and/or its applicable distribution partner will notify the potential winners by using the email address(es) provided on the Entry Form. Sponsor may in its discretion announce the name(s) of one or more potential winners on the Site or in other forms of communication, provided that no potential winner shall be certified as a winner until the potential winner and the winner’s parent or legal guardian has executed and returned all required documents, as described in this paragraph. If a potential winner is unreachable by email during a period of seventy-two consecutive hours, the potential winner may be disqualified and/or Sponsor may elect not to award the applicable prize, as Sponsor may determine in its discretion. Each potential winner and his or her parent or legal guardian will be required to complete and return an Affidavit of Eligibility, Confidentiality Agreement, Release of Liability, and, if legally permissible, a Publicity Release within five days of attempted delivery of same. Noncompliance within this time period or return of any notification as undeliverable may result in disqualification and an alternate winner may be selected. Sponsor reserves the right to conduct a background check on each of the winners. Each Participant consents to the same and shall provide whatever additional information, permission, and/or documentation is required or requested by Sponsor in connection with the same.
13. Additional Prize Information: All income taxes and any other applicable taxes on each Challenge prize are the sole responsibility of the recipient. An IRS form 1099 will be issued, if required by law. Challenge prizes consist only of prizes expressly specified herein. Each winner is subject to and shall abide by the income reporting and, if applicable, the payment of any taxes due, per the laws, rules and regulations of the winner’s/winners’ country of residence. Any costs or expenses associated with the acceptance or use of any prize are the responsibility of the recipient. No substitution or transfer of right to receive any Challenge prize will be allowed, except at the sole discretion of Sponsor. Sponsor also reserves the right at its sole discretion to substitute an alternate prize. If any winner is prevented from accepting any cash prize in his/her jurisdiction of residence, then, at the option of Sponsor, Sponsor reserves the right to substitute an alternate prize in its sole discretion. The prizes are not transferable, assignable or redeemable for cash except in Sponsor’s sole discretion.
14. If any winner is a minor in his/her jurisdiction of residence, and the law of such jurisdiction of residence prevents any prize from being awarded to such winner, the prize will be awarded in the name of his/her parent or legal guardian (provided the law of such jurisdiction of residence does not otherwise prevent the prize from so being awarded), who will be responsible for fulfilling all the requirements imposed on winners as set forth herein or under applicable law.
15. Beyond the Prize Money: Sponsor may wish to help turn winning ideas into action. In addition to the prize money, Sponsor may, in its sole and absolute discretion, provide additional support to facilitate the development, promulgation, and/or implementation of one or more winning ideas. However, implementation of the winning idea is not required by the Participant.
16. Grant of Rights: By registering for the Challenge, regardless of the country of his/her residence, each Participant (or if a minor, such Participant’s parent or legal guardian) grants to Sponsor and its designees the irrevocable, royalty-free right to publish, disseminate, and use the person’s name, likeness, and biographical information without further notice or consideration, in perpetuity, throughout the world, in all media and formats now known or hereafter invented, in connection with the execution and promotion of The Challenge and the promotion of Sponsor and its activities. In addition, by registering, each Participant grants to Sponsor and its designees a nonexclusive, irrevocable, royalty-free license to reproduce, exploit, adapt, use and display worldwide, in perpetuity, throughout the world, in all media and formats now known or hereafter invented, the Entry and all components thereof, including without limitation posting the Entry and/or components thereof on the Site (or such other on-line environments as YFF may designate), in connection with the execution and promotion of the Challenge and the promotion of Sponsor and its activities, without further notice or compensation.
18. Representations & Warranties: Each Participant (or if a minor, such Participant’s parent or legal guardian) represents and warrants that he/she:
- (a) Has the right to make an Entry as contemplated hereunder without the need of any consent of any third party;
- (b) Will abide by these Challenge Rules and all applicable laws and regulations;
- (c) Is under no obligation or disability, created by law or otherwise, which would in any manner or to any extent prevent or restrict registering or making an Entry or becoming a prize winner as outlined herein;
- (d) Is not currently nor has been a resident in the past of any of the following countries: Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, Syria, the Crimea Region, or any other United States sanctioned country; and
- (e) Is not listed under the Foreign Narcotics Kingpin Designation Act and/or as a Specially Designated National, Debarred Person and/or Denied Person as defined under United States law.
19. Indemnity: By registering and/or submitting an entry, each Participant agrees to indemnify, hold harmless and defend the Sponsor and the Sponsor Parties, the Judges, and the members of The Challenge coalition from and against the full amount of all claims, liabilities, actions, suits, proceedings, assessments, judgments, decrees, losses, fees, damages, settlement funds, and associated costs and expenses including attorney’s fees arising from or in connection with the registration, participation, and entry in The Challenge, any use of the Entry, and/or the exercise by Sponsor of any rights granted to it herein, including without limitation claims based on rights of privacy, rights of publicity, false light, defamation, copyright, patent and/or trademark infringement relating to the Entry. Notwithstanding anything herein to the contrary, in the event of any claim by a third party affecting or relating to the Entry, Sponsor shall have, in addition to any other rights available to it, at law or in equity, the right to immediately revoke any prize.
20. DISCLAIMER: NOTWITHSTANDING ANYTHING TO THE CONTRARY, IN NO EVENT WILL THE SPONSOR, THE SPONSOR PARTIES, THE JUDGES, OR ANY MEMBER OF THE CHALLENGE COALITION BE LIABLE TO ANY PARTICIPANT OR ANY THIRD PARTY FOR ANY SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, LOSS OF REVENUES, LOST PROFITS, LOST CAPITAL OR OVERHEAD, WHETHER BASED ON BREACH OF CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE) OR OTHERWISE, WHETHER OR NOT SPONSOR HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
21. Release of Claims: By registering and/or submitting an Entry, each Participant releases the Sponsor, the Sponsor Parties, the Judges, and the members of The Challenge coalition from and against the full amount of all claims, liabilities, actions, suits, proceedings, assessments, judgments, decrees, losses, fees, damages, settlement funds, and associated costs and expenses including attorney’s fees arising from or in connection with participation in The Challenge, any use of the Entry and/or the exercise by Sponsor of any rights granted to it herein, including without limitation claims based on rights of privacy, rights of publicity, false light, defamation, copyright, patent and/or trademark infringement relating to the Entry and claims for injury, loss or damage of any kind resulting from the Participant’s participation in The Challenge or acceptance or use of any prize.
22. No Limitation on Exploitation of Materials: Each Participant acknowledges that the Sponsor engages and has engaged and will in the future engage in the development, preparation, production, acquisition, and dissemination of creative, educational, artistic, and other material (collectively, the “Materials“), including without limitation Materials that are similar or identical to a Participant’s Entry. Each Participant also acknowledges that other persons, including employees of Sponsor, may previously have originated and/or submitted to Sponsor or to others, and may hereafter originate and/or submit, Materials that are similar or identical to the Participant’s Entry. Each Participant agrees that it will not be entitled to any compensation because of the use by Sponsor of any such similar or identical material. Without limitation of the foregoing, Sponsor may use, without any payment or other obligation whatsoever to any Participant, any part of the Materials, and any idea or concept contained therein, that (a) is similar or identical to, or contains significant elements encompassed in, a concept that is under consideration or in development by Sponsor before or at the time of the Participant’s Entry, (b) is not unique, novel, original, and concrete so as to be entitled to protection under applicable laws, (c) has been made public by anyone at the time of its submission to Sponsor or otherwise is in the public domain, (d) would be freely usable by a third person if it had not been accepted as an Entry or the subject of any agreement, (e) is not protected by United States copyright law, or (f) is similar or identical to, or contains significant elements encompassed in, an idea, concept or material that is independently created by Sponsor or any third party. By registering and/or submitting an Entry, each Participant agrees that Sponsor’s development, preparation, production, acquisition, dissemination, and/or exploitation of Materials similar or identical to the Participant’s Entry or containing features, ideas, material and/or elements similar to or identical with those contained in the Participant’s Entry shall not entitle the Participant to any compensation or other right or remedy whatsoever. As an inducement to Sponsor to accept the Participant’s Entry into The Challenge, each Participant hereby waives any claim or right of action against Sponsor Parties or their successors in connection with the Sponsor Parties’ use of any Materials (or any portions thereof) whether or not such Materials are similar or identical to a Participant’s Entry or contain any features, ideas, material, and/or elements that are similar or identical to those contained in a Participant’s Entry. Acceptance by Sponsor of an Entry is not an admission by Sponsor of the novelty or originality of the Entry.
23. General Terms: All national, state, municipal and local laws and regulations apply. If any provision of these rules is invalid under the law, rules or regulations of a particular country, it will only apply to the extent permitted. Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual who violates the Rules of The Challenge, tampers with the entry process, and/or acts in any way that would, in any way, discredit or harm the reputation of Sponsor, and/or to cancel, modify, or suspend The Challenge if a Participant engages in fraud or misconduct or other conduct beyond the control of Sponsor which corrupts the administration, integrity, security, and/or proper operation of The Challenge. Without limitation of the foregoing, Sponsor reserves the right to terminate, modify, or suspend The Challenge due to any of the following reasons: act of God; unavoidable accident; epidemic; fire; blackout; act of public enemy; war, riot or civil commotion; enactment, rule, order or act of government or governmental instrumentality or tribunal; strike, lockout or other labor dispute; inclement weather; failure of technical facilities; failure of essential production, or technical personnel to appear or be available; or other cause beyond its control. Sponsor is not responsible for lost, late, illegible, incomplete, damaged, mutilated, misdirected, misdelivered, or delayed Entries, or for technical or human errors or failures of any kind in connection with the submission, transmission, processing or judging of Entries, including without limitation any malfunctions or failures of computer hardware, computer software, networks or telephone equipment or any technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any website or any combination thereof. CAUTION: Any attempt by a person to deliberately damage any Web site or undermine the legitimate operation of The Challenge is a violation of criminal and civil laws and should such an attempt be made, Sponsor reserves the right to seek damages from any such person to the fullest extent of the law. Sponsor is not responsible for any typographical or other error in the printing of the offer, administration of The Challenge, or in the announcement of the prizes. These Challenge Rules set forth the entire agreement and understanding between Sponsor and Participant concerning the subject matter hereof and merges and supersedes all prior discussions, agreements, and understandings of any kind between them. Notwithstanding anything contained herein to the contrary, Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, at any future time to terminate, modify, or suspend The Challenge for any reason, in Sponsor’s sole discretion. All notices shall be in writing and shall be delivered to Participant in accordance with instructions contained on the Registration form. Participant shall be deemed an independent contractor and nothing contained herein shall constitute this arrangement to be employment, a joint venture, or a partnership. Sponsor’s failure to enforce any provision of these Challenge Rules shall not constitute a waiver of any provision contained herein. The titles of Sections of these Challenge Rules are for convenience only and shall not be given any legal effect. The word “including” is used in these Challenge Rules to mean “including but not limited to.
25. List of Winners: For the names of the winners, which will be available on or around December 1, 2019, please check the main home page herein.
Sponsored by Yun Family Foundation